Saturday, December 4, 2010

Son of lint heads


I have lived the majority of my life on what is called a Mill Village.

Always near by me I could lay in bed on summer nights with windows up and hear the clinky clank of the mill.My Momma and Daddy always worked in the mills.

Cotton mills,carpet mills,etc.

Textiles.

Seen them come home from work covered with cotton lint.Hence the word Lint Head.

A word just as derogatory as the N word.


Some took it on them self to look down on us hard working people.Maybe I should have said those hard working people.I never have worked a hard day in my life like Momma and Daddy had to.I was always lucky when it came to jobs.

We lived on the village.In a mill house.You know what the house I live in now is a mill house.It was built in 1925.Sold in the 40's after the war I think.I have been here 32 years this month.

Never was I ashamed to live what some call the wrong side of town.I didn't see it that way.I do know of some who deny living on the village in their youth.Why do that it is nothing to be ashamed of.

We well our parents kept us feed and clothed.They kept the other businesses in town operating by buying their products.At one time mills where the only place for people to work here in LaGrange.

People came from the farms in the country to have jobs.In the 1920's there was a strike here.Some wanted an union.Naturally the mill owners did not want it.I think the National Guard or some private police force was used to quench the strikers.The mill owners fired and turned out some out of their houses who where striking.

The owners did do alot for the workers.

To be fair.

They built schools,libraries,recreation facilities for the workers and their families.Day before I turned 16 I started working in the mill.So all said I guess the mills and mill village will always be a big part of my life and memories.

I think if Momma and Daddy had not moved around so much and stayed at the old Callaway mills they both would have had 50 years each at those mills.The mill a few blocks from the house has just about closed down if it hasn't already. Hillside Plant and at one time was the largest plant in LaGrange.

The village where I live is called Hillside.Yep it is hilly over here.So I am a son of lint heads.It really don't bother me.I know what and who I am.And I am very proud of my folks for working so hard.

They are heroes in my eyes.

No comments: