Monday, November 29, 2010

Hoot owls a hooting

Daddy was from Clay County,Alabama.That was where he was born.Story is My Grandpa Haynes had his still in what is now called Talledega National Forrest.Yep that Talledega where the race track is.You Nascar fans know what I'm talking about.Anyway I remember going up there once.Their was Uncle Wiley my Grandpa's brother and Aunt Martha and Aunt Rosie.All Grandpa's sisters and brother..We had to cross a river on the way.I am guessing the Cosa river.No bridge you use a ferry.Not a ferry boat but a little raft looking thing just big enough for a car to fit on.There where cables or ropes I don't remember and it pulled you across from one side to the other.I remember getting stuck on a dirt road in the mud.No paved roads I guess.We stayed at one of Daddy's aunts.Talk about out in the sticks it was.She was out in the garden and was wearing a gun and holster  just like from the cowboy days.I could not sleep that night.I was a very young boy.I heard hoot owls a hooting all night and it terrified me.It was an experience never to be forgotten.Talk about country that was the country.

No comments: