Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Arnco

I didn't like Arnco.Didn't like the house,didn't like anything about it.We moved why I don't know.Got an idea though.I never made any friends there.Started working in the mill 1 day before my 16th birthday.I crawled under looms with an air hose blowing out the lint,filth and snuff and tobacco juice that people spit.I was working the third shift the night man landed on the Moon.During school I got to come in a little late for my second shift job of hauling yarn for the twister operators.That was what Mom did run twisters and Daddy was a fixer.The first paycheck I got was given to Momma.She would give me a few dollars out of it. I left for Florida. We drove straight through till arriving at Tampa.The beach and Gulf of Mexico didn't impress me.After a few hours of sleep back home we went.That first summer of working bought my school clothes.Jeans,couple pair of dress pants,solid color shirts that I can't remember what they where called.Then the biggie.Alligator skin tassel loafers also got a matching tri fold wallet.I was so OCD with the way I dressed.Shoes had to shine,jeans pressed,my socks where always dark blue or black and I always used a lint roller on them,never would you see lint on my socks.Even my t shirts where ironed.I rode to school with 2 other guys .We where the only ones on the village who went to Newnan High and not the county high school.Sure was glad when I got my own car.Yellow 65 Pontiac GTO,389 with a hurst 4 speed,black interior and red line tires.It would pin you back into the seat when you hot rodded it.A holy terror on the village I was with that car.Almost wrecked it one night,going pretty fast a car pulled out in front of me,hitting the brakes hard I was sliding sideways,how I manged not hitting a row of parked cars was a miracle.My favorite thing to do was slamming on the brakes and making 360 degree spins.I know for a fact the GTO would peg out the speedometer past 120.I just realized that an guardian Angel must have been with me at all times in that car

No comments: