Wednesday, June 30, 2010

57 channels

Airplanes,space travel and phones.

Things that have been invented that we can't live without.Things my Grandparents could only dream about.

Computers,cell phones what would the world be without them.Cars that can parallel park them self.Cable TV,satellite TV.

I remember 3 channels of TV if you where lucky and you had to get up and walk over to the TV and change channels.

Momma said she heard as a kid that one day there would be radio that you could see.

It was my babysitter.

Saturday mornings you would find me sitting on the floor with my cereal watching the Indian test pattern waiting for another day of broadcast excellence.

Saturday mornings where filled with programs like Sky King,Fury,My Friend Flicka.Saturday night at 10 pm Gunsmoke came on,I would stand in front of the TV and try to out draw Matt Dillion.I never did.

Sunday night there was Walt Disney's Wonderful world of Color
,Bonanza and My Favorite Martian.

I was 3 when Grandpa Haynes bought a TV.A floor model with a built in record player,oh yeah it was a black and white set.If my memory is right programs came on late in the day.

News,Guiding Light and my program The Popeye Club with Officer Don.There was Queen For A Day and Dragnet which Grandma and me would watch at the Ramsey's each day before Grandpa bought one.Now there are 100's of channels on,24 hour stations,stations devoted to one theme.With my remote I can lay in bed and scan the world of TV and just like in that Bruce Springstien song 57 channels and nothing's on.

No comments: