Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I got tricked

Trick or treat a kid.

Three years old,the year was 1955,Roanoke,Alabama,Halloween night.

The first Halloween I remember and thrilled and ready for trick or treating I was.

But as in life there was a problem.

Being a little country kid with no other children around my playmates were dogs,cats,cows,chickens,hogs and Ole Grey John Grandpa's plow mule.

I had this recurring problem.Not fond of shoes often I was bare footed.Those unpainted weather worn splintered porches were my enemy.More than once a splinter stuck in my foot and often they would get infected.I had to take those quarter size sulphur pills for my blood something wasn't quite right with it.

More than once off to Roanoke Hospital I was taken to get my foot scraped because of a cut that had become infected.This was the old Roanoke Hospital and I can still remember how it smelled of alcohol and ether.

Okay back to 1955,Halloween,I had my first Halloween costume,Casper the ghost,trick or treat bag ready for candy and as it would be an infected foot.

Off to the Hospital my folks took me.

A deal was made between us,if I would go peacefully trick or treating we would go afterwards.

No such luck.

When that Doctor held up that big huge shiny shot needle all deals were off.

Into one of best I don't want to do this tantrums I went and it took Daddy,the Doctor and a terrified Nurse to hold me down for that shot.

Of course they won I was outnumbered.

Long story short you probably guessed it,no trick or treating for me.

Still after 59 years I remember getting tricked on my first Halloween.

No comments: