Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Horse and buggy days

It is the year 2010 and I have several connections to the horse and buggy days.Mom told me her family would ride to church on a horse and wagon pulled by their ole plow mules.Grandpa Smith was the preacher at Bethel East Baptist Church.So was my uncle Bill years later.Grandpa was at the old church Bill was at the new one.Anyway Grandpa died when Momma was 5 and when he was preaching at the church she would be sitting on the floor behind the pulpit.Story is they gave her a sack full of biscuits just to keep her quiet.Oh by the way Bethel is in Randolph County Alabama.My other connection with horse and wagons is my other Grandpa.Grandpa Haynes was a bootlegger.Using a horse drawn wagon is how he transported the goods.I find no fault in Grandpa Haynes being a bootlegger/moonshiner.He fed his family during the depression doing this.This also took place in Alabama.My other connection to horse and wagons is a bit more tragic.Great Grandpa Jacob Haynes lost a leg In the Civil War at the battle of Vicksburg,Mississippi and was taken prisoner.After the war he had a businnes transporting things by wagon.What these things where I don't know.Anyway it was a rainy day and Great Grandpa Haynes was getting on his wagon and slipped on muddy ground.The horses got spooked I am guessing and the horses and wagon ran over him killing him.So in the year 2010 I still have a connection to the old horse and buggy days.

No comments: