Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July,Watermelon Festival and smoking stolen Bull Durham cigarettes

4th of July,Watermelon Festival and smoking stolen Bull Durham cigarettes.

I'm guessing it was when I was 14.Aunt Gladys and Uncle Leon had came for a visit.We where living in Newnan,Georgia at the time.

Have patience my friends and it will all be clear to you.

At that time in my life I among all the other kids in the neighborhood where slipping around smoking.My folks smoked so I had a ready supply of smokes to swipe one every so often
from.

For some reason Daddy had started smoking Bull Durham cigarettes.Why he switched from Winston taste good like a cigarette should I never asked.

Bull Durham now for those not in the know had a bull on front of the pack.I think I know why to.

I swiped one and rushed off for a quick smoke in the rough unfinished basement that served as a hangout for the uncoothed kids in the block.

That was the most Devilish awful thing that ever touched my lips.Strong was not the word for it and that taste if I think real hard it all comes back easily.

Thinking back that was maybe Daddy's plan to cure me of cigarette smoking.It almost worked.

Off we went to the 4th of July Watermelon Festival at the big farmers market in Forest Park,Georgia.

There I had a brush with greatness.

Of all the people in the world to be performing there it was Porter Wagoner and the Wagoners,Speck Green and some unknown woman named Dolly Parton.

Yes that Dolly Parton.A very young Dolly Parton I might add.

I think my Uncle Leon was smitten by this woman named Dolly Parton.Who knows why maybe if I had a couple of guesses maybe I could figure it out.

So my friend that is my story of 4th of July,The Watermelon Festival and smoking stolen Bull Durham cigarettes.

Happy 4th of July to you !