Monday, June 10, 2013

Baby gator

Years ago when traveling through Flardy you could buy a baby alligator just as easy as a bag of oranges.

The baby finger snappers offers where sold at roadside stands right along side of coconuts,oranges and fake Indian moccasins.

Several times a year my Daddy and a group of men from church would go deep sea fishing at St. Pete,Florida when I was just a little boy.

I always had the same request Daddy bring me a baby gator.I'm sad to say,no maybe relieved Daddy had better sense than me.

I never got one.

Instead I always got a bag of green oranges or a coconut.Those coconuts would keep me busy for hours trying to crack them.

Yeah someone had good sense when they outlawed selling baby gators on the side of the road.Lot of folks forget that those little buggers grow up and become man eaters.

Ain't no telling how many of those little creatures have been flushed down the toilet when they got big and ornary.

Others where let lose in ponds and rivers through out the South.A few years ago an eight foot gator was found up the road in Franklin,Ga in the Chattahoochee river.

Now back to those coconuts...