Thursday, May 30, 2013

Night sounds

Summer nights at East Newnan,Georgia.No such thing as having AC back then for us regular folks.

Your cool air came from the open screened widows.This was the 1960's things where changing and folks didn't dare leave their doors open at night.

If you where lucky you had a floor or window fan to keep you cool on those sultry muggy summer nights.

A floor fan called a Wind Maker kept me cool.

I would lay with my head at the foot of my bed which was homemade I must add with bookshelves made of pine by a man who lived in LaGrange.

Inches from the opened window the sounds of the night would lullaby me to a sound slumber.

Sounds of the cotton mill with it's steady quiet roar.The big 18 wheeler trucks rumbling up and down US 29 all night.

Everyone loves the sound of a fan I think.They can put one soundly asleep.

But the sounds I loved most where natures own.Crickets,cicadas the songs of the nightingales bull frogs from the mill pond and whipper wills off in the distance with their sad songs.