Thursday, February 7, 2013

Boiled okra and squash

Boiled okra and squash.Let me say from the start I learned years ago to never say never.But eating boiled okra and squash might come under that category of maybe never.

Momma cooked that southern thing of peas mixed with whole stalks of okra often.I like many others either passed on that or did like me dip the okra out.

That other thing ...squash.Boiled with onions added.I would eat that but it had to be cause I was really hungry.

But if you take okra and squash and batter them with corn meal or flour and deep fry them is a whole different story.Walmart sells battered fried okra and I can eat it like popcorn.

Take the name okra. All my life and till this day I and the old folks call it okree.Another thing about okree,everyone needs the opportunity of cutting okra on a hot August afternoon,temperature hovering around 100,sweat pouring off your head and face and making the mistake of wiping the sweat off with your okra cutting hand.It stings.

Never say never.

No comments: