Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I had a choice

I broke the unforgivable sin of a southern boy yesterday.I had a choice but what was done was no one's doing but my own.

My dear departed kin folks are rolling in their graves I bet.No one to blame on this one but myself.

Yesterday,New Years,I had a choice.That choice was what to have for dinner(lunch to you folks north of Hogansville,Ga).That choice was the old traditional meal of black eyed peas and collards,fish sandwich and fries or vegetable soup and grilled cheese sandwich.

I choose the later,soup and sandwich.Yes brothers and sisters that was what was chosen.

In all my 60 years of being a connoisseur of fine southern food never have I ever turned down black eyed peas and collards.I have no excuse for my sin.

There is only one way to make a remince for this unforgivable act.Yes friends that trip must be taken.That trip down to Montgomery,Alabama by Greyhound bus to steps of the State Capital where I shall hug that old stature of Jeff Davis and retake my oath of being a homegrown born and bred southern boy whose Momma raise him better than this and promises next time if given that choice will chose black eyed peas and collards.

Amen Brother Ben

No comments: