Tuesday, November 13, 2012

They lied

Where it all started for me.June 24th 1952.Old city county  hospital LaGrange,Georgia.Back in the days when you walked into a hospital and the smell of alcohol and ether would smack you in the face.Thank goodness for Crawford W. Long for coming up with ether but it was awful smelling and so nauseous least to me.With out it at that time people would have to bite the bullet literally or swig on liquor till they passed out when having surgery.My first remembrance of ether was 1959 when I had my tonsils took out.Night before it took place I checked into the hospital.7 years old Momma stayed with me.I remember a nurse coming in to give me a shot that night.I cried,Momma cried,the nurse was crying I had her so upset.I did not like shots.Then the head nurse came in without saying a word,rolled me over and gave me the shot.

Next day off to the operating room.I was so small a nurse just picked me up in her arms and toted me.I remember Dr. Cowart placing a rubber mask on my face telling me to breathe deeply.We are going to blast off in a rocket into outer space Dr.Cowart said,count to 100.I made it to about 8 and out I went.

Waking up the first person I seen was my Grand Ma Smith sitting by the bed smiling.Dr.Cowart came in and noticed my money jar on the bedside table.You are making more money off this than I am he joked.

They lied.You can have all the ice cream you want I was told.They didn't tell you that your throat would be so sore and hurting you didn't want anything.


No comments: