Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Southern thing

Krystals.It's a Southern thing.If you know what Whitecastle is about you know what a Krystal is.Small hamburger,thin slice of meat,mustard, onions and a pickle.My first encounter with a Krystal was in the early 60's.I was spending a week in Macon,Georgia with Aunt Gladys and Uncle Leon.It was 1963 I was 10 years old.Aunt Gladys and me where downtown.We went into this cafe and she asked how many hamburgers I wanted.1will be fine I answered.I remembered she said only 1 is not enough for a growing boy.Again I said 1 will be fine.Well to my surprise it was a Krystal.And nope 1 was not enough.So that was the start of a love affair with those little burgers that till this very day I often crave.Some can eat a sack full but me after 3 or 4 with those wonderful fries is enough.LaGrange finally got a Krystal in the 1990's.I was there opening day.It was so crowded you could not find a parking spot.I read in the paper the LaGrange Krystal had one of the biggest opening days in Krystal history.I am not alone it seems.Again,Krystal,it's a Southern thing.

No comments: