Wednesday, September 4, 2013

If I was...

If I was back at the old home place about this time of day my big white butter beans would be just about done.Slow cooked on top of the stove with thick soup, salt added and a little vegetable oil for seasoning.

Time for putting the cornbread on,I like mine just a bit on the greasy side,baking it in an old black iron skillet that was Momma's that she got second hand years ago so it probably is close to a hundred years old.

Next on the menu would be sliced and deep fried potatoes to a golden brown,crispy just the way I like them.

Add an onion and that would be dinner and most likely supper also.

What beans left over would go into some home made vegetable soup later on in the week.

I miss being on my own,answering to no one except myself and God doing for myself especially the cooking.

I was happy being a single domestic engineer owning that old home place and driving ole Red the Ford pickup.

Truly the happiest time of my life.

Memories get me by.