Monday, May 20, 2013

On Smith's mountain

It's a cool fall evening on top of Smith's mountain and the wood stove is heating my one room cabin up nicely.

On the stove a big black iron frying pan full of sliced taters and onion are  frying and the smell is wonderful.My mouth waters.Cornmeal flitters with sorghum syrup will finish out supper.

Up here in the North Georgia mountains the cold comes in quick.But I'm ready for it.Plenty of kindling wood for the old black wood stove and a large stack of cut wood for the fireplace.So staying warm should be no problem.Plenty of old patch quilts that will make for good sleeping are neatly folded and stacked for those blustery snowy nights ahead.

Belly full think sitting on the porch waiting on sunset will finish off this good day.My corn pipe and a hot cup of fresh coffee compliment that big ole homemade rocker.Feet propped up on the porch banister I'm comfortable.

Twilight.Best time of the day.Oak trees are blooming with orange,yellow and gold leaves giving up their acorns which the deer love snacking on.

A cool evening with the smell of wood smoke and the sights of a setting sun up on the mountain I think what else could a man want or need.

Crickets serenade me and the pipe smoke with the coffee just add to my peaceful feeling.

Early October up on Smith's mountain.My Heaven on Earth.