Sunday, April 7, 2013

Georgia

Georgia is my home.Where I was born raised and 99.999% the place I'm sure of that I will wait for the second coming of the Lord up at Shadowlawn Cemetery.

From the mountains of north Georgia down to the Atlantic Ocean this is where I want to be.All I know about my kin folks is this if the records are correct.In the 1700's the Haynes kin left Baltimore,Maryland with a family of Dutch settlers and headed south.Stopping in North Carolina for awhile then on to Georgia.Now what I read so it must be true is that the Haynes folks where one of the first white settlers,this was Indian territory, in the county of what is now named Troup. Troup county is where I call home.Then for some unknown reason they moved to Alabama settling in what is now called Clay county.

Alabama is where my folks where born raised but Georgia is my home.Earlier laying here thinking looking out the big window I thought to myself what a beautiful day in Georgia.Trees and flowers in bloom the bright sunshine shinning down on us and the sound of Crows in the distant is just the perfect atmosphere for me.

On those up coming hot humid summer days that I long for in my minds eye I see the heat rising from a scorching tared road.The smell of honeysuckle and magnolias fill my senses.At night the singing of cicadas and crickets.Fire flies peppering a clear Georgia night.

The red clay of north Georgia.Further south around Macon where the soil is sandy white.Down in south Georgia where the farming is done.Home of the ever present nats on a sweltering hot summer day.

Atlanta or Lanta as locals call it.Burnt to the ground by Mr Sherman on his way to the sea.Tall buildings and streets named Peachtree.The little smaller than small towns with just a few folks.This is Georgia.

Every time I hear that theme song from Gone With the Wind it does something to me.Or when Ray Charles sings Georgia wow goose bump time.

 Savannah which even Mr Sherman refused to burn because of it's beauty.Those dusty red clay roads which are fast disappearing I can still see in my minds eye and the smell of them after a summer's shower.

Grits,CoColas,peaches and peanuts.Mr. Carter from down the road in Plains.FDR who loved Warm Springs and the man who did so much for this part of Georgia.

Stone Mountain where I wrote that it would be a wonderful place to just sit and look eastward and wait on Jesus to come back for his Children.

Macon where most of my Aunts lived and where Grandma and Grandpa Haynes rest in peace.

The people here who will throw up their hand when meeting you while driving on those 2 lane black top roads.Mam and Sir which we say with respect.

Yes this is my home.Georgia named after old King George way over there in Great Brittan. Settled by James Oglethorpe down around Savannah.One of the thirteen original colonies.

Georgia.

How forgetful of me.Thank goodness I can come back and do some editing.How could I write about Georgia and not mention Georgia pines.Looking out the big window they seemed to be waving at me reminding me I'm wasn't through yet.

Wind through the pines on a moonlight night what a beautiful sight.Now through,the story is complete.




No comments: