Sunday, March 31, 2013

Taps

Happy Easter to you.He has risen.Easter brings back memories.

Twice a year I got new shoes.When school started and on Easter.Back in the late 50's when I was a boy there was a fad I don't think kids do today.

Taps on your shoes.I can still hear taps walking down those long halls at Southwest Elementary School.Click clank click clank.

The purpose of taps was to make your shoes last longer.Taps on the heels and toes of your Buster Browns bought from the Bargain Basement downtown LaGrange at the corner of Vernon and Bull Streets.Walk next door and the shoe repair man would put taps on your new shoes for 10 cents a pair if my memory serves me right.

I just liked the sound of taps on a hard floor.You where cool if you had them.

Guess it's hard putting taps on these designer sneakers kids wear today.Oh we had sneakers back then also.They where called tennis shoes.Two styles.Low cut or or high top basketball Keds.In any color you wanted as long it was black.

No comments: