Tuesday, July 3, 2012

If I get out of here alive

July 4th 1975 I was laying in a hospital bed at Crawford W Long on Peachtree Street Atlanta,Georgia.

I was having tests run on me trying to figure out what was going on in my body.Falling daily now and getting weaker.

Least I had a good view right on one of the busiest streets downtown Atlanta.

23 years old and I had just about convinced myself my life was over.The neurologist was having the test done on me.A human pin cushion I felt like with needles stuck in every part of my body hooked up to an oscilloscope.What seemed like every few hours nurses would come in taking huge doses of blood from me.Down to the OR a muscle biopsy was done.

From a Sunday to Friday I was there.All alone with plenty of time to ponder and think things over.

From my window I could see the sales lot of a Pontiac dealer.I got this big idea and that idea was if I get out of this alive I'm going to buy me a brand new Firebird Trans Am.

Black and blue and sore I left the hospital.

Back to LaGrange.

September of 1976 comes around and the new cars are out.Shopping around I found out that the insurance on a Trans Am for a 23 year old was ridiculous.So I settled for a 76 Formula 400 Firebird.They where just like the Trans Ams sorta.Golden rod yellow with an orange stripe across the top and down the sides.Black interior with a 8 track tape player.For those who don't know what 8 track players are don't ask .It looked liked a bumble bee someone told me.I never drove it to work but drove an old 1946 Dodge pickup which is another story it's self.

So tomorrow is another July 4th.This is a story of one of mine in the past.