Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jacob Haynes Civil War

Jacob Haynes was my Great grandfather.He was a solider in the Civil War, a member of the 3rd Alabama Infantry Regiment.He was wounded and captured at the battle of Vicksburg,Ms. where he lost of a leg.Why he fought I do not know.He had no slaves or plantation.Maybe he fought because of his pride.Maybe because his family members, his friends where going to fight.I don't think it was because of hate of Union soldiers or for that matter the United States.Could it be that he was really upset about states rights which I think was the real reason for the war.Maybe he had no choice.Grandma Smith told a story of someone who ran away from the army and they came after him.I can't imagine what war is like.Would I run away or be brave and take a stand.Guess war is like a lot of other things,talking is easy but when it comes down to the nitty gritty can you back up your words.

No comments: